Friday, August 10, 2012

Sweet Garlic Rasted Zucchini

As you may have notices, it's the time of year I like to refer to as Zuccinipocalypse. Zucchini is literally taking over the world. And I love it.
Zucchini is my absolute favorite vegetable, and when I can get it perfectly sweet and in season, I get very very excited. I know, I'm a lame.
When I say it's my favorite veggie, I don't mean I enjoy the oily grilled vegetable medley that's served at my grandparents' favorite restaurant. I actually hold this dish responsible for turning so many people against my little green friend.
No, no, no, I like my zucchini grilled until the inside is just warm but still crisp, sautéed with lemon and lots of black pepper, raw with nothing on it. Yep, I know, I'm a lame.
I'm not even going to start talking about cakes, breads, or brownies. That would just be too much.
But my favorite way of eating this favorite veggie (essentially one of my favorite vegetable dishes) is Sweet Garlic Roasted Zucchini.

The zucchini is marinated in salt and lots of grated garlic, the roasted in 2 rounds. Once without any oil, at a lower temperature, then once with just a sheen of the good stuff at a higher temperature, so it get's golden and crisp.

The salt draws out any bitterness in the zucchini, allows the garlic to cook slowly in the oven, preventing any possibility of burned bitter garlic, and makes the dish super sweet.
The second roasting makes the sweet veg golden and crisp. Yum.

Try this dish with your non-zucchini loving friends to turn them on to a lifetime of zucchini love. I promise, it will work.

Oh, and this also works wonderfully with yellow summer squash, or a combination of both if you want to get really fancy with it.

Sweet Garlic Roasted Zucchini
Serves 4

4 medium zucchini (or 30 baby zucchini)
4 cloves of garlic, grated
2 tsp sea salt, faked or ground

1 Tbs olive oil

Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment.
Chop the zucchini into bite sized pieces, or cut baby zucchini length wise, so you have 2 long halves.
Toss zucchini in a bowl with grated garlic and salt. Allow the mixture to marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Spread the zucchini evenly on the lined baking sheet and bake at 350ºF for 10 minutes, stirring half way through.
After 10 minutes, or when the zucchini are just beginning to feel tender, remove from the oven and toss with 1 Tbs olive oil, making sure any and all garlic bits are also tossed with the oil.
Heat oven to 400º and return the zucchini to the oven for another 10-15 minutes, until golden and crisp on the cut side, turning half way through.
Serve alongside Pollo in Pomodoro, atop risotto, or tossed with spaghetti alla carbonara.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment