Sunday, August 12, 2012

Soft Earl Grey Shortbread Biscuits

I don't think of myself as an elegant person. I have yet to master any sort of glide, I don't own a hair dryer, and I have been known to wear yoga pants for more than 24 hours in a row.
I have my elegant moments, though.  I'm a bit of a mascara pro, I don't cry in public, and I firmly believe that you must wear heels to work.

Oh so Elegant

These cookies are a bit like me. I identify with these cookies. I know that sounds super strange and possibly creepy, but I already know I have an abnormal relationship with food, so say what you please.
These cookies sound refines and elegant, but are super easy to make, and taste a bit like the crust of a PopTart (Thanks, Sis, for that observation)

They are complex in that the taste and texture are familiar, but also new, as the pepperiness of the tea sits in contrast with the simplicity of the white sugar and flour.
They're hard to explain, easy to make, and amazing to eat. They sound fancy, impress guests, but are also right at home clutched in a toddler's fist.
They're like people, they have many different moods, and sides, and they always have a place on the cookie platter.

Soft Earl Grey Shortbread
Makes about 24 cookies

4 oz cold butter, cut into cubes
6 oz flour
2 oz + 2 Tbs white sugar
2 Tbs Earl Grey Tea (from a tea bag is fine)
1/3 cup skim milk

Preheat your oven to 375ºF and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a food processor, pulse the butter, sugar and flour until they form a dough with a texture similar to pie crust. Don't worry if your butter gets too small, it doesn't make too much of a difference in this recipe.
Pour your milk and 1/2 Tbs of the tea into a small microwave safe dish and heat on high for a minute to a minute and a half, or until the milk is just about to boil.
Allow the tea to sit and steep in the milk for just about 2 minutes before adding to the food processor in a slow stream, while pulsing.
As soon as the milk is incorporated into the dough, fold in the remaining tea leaves (you may have to transfer your dough to a larger bowl and crumble it up a bit for more even distribution.)
Chill the dough on the counter overnight.
Flour a board and roll your dough out to about 1/4 inch thick. Use a 2 inch round cookie cutter (or the size  of your choice) to cut the dough into your desired shapes, continually rolling out any dough scraps.
Bake on parchment lined baking sheets for about 15 minutes, or until the cookies are just getting a pale golden cast around the edges.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment