Sunday, September 30, 2012

Salted Dulce de Leche Chocolate Tart

I'm not in a relationship. Well, I'm in relationships, I have friends, a sister, parents, all the extended family, and people like that, but I'm not in a relationship with a man/boy/male.
If I was, I'd probably make him fat. So, it's a good thing that my sister's boyfriend if a skinny guy because I've made it my goal to break his addiction to chicken fingers, fast food pizza, and Snickers and turn him on to something called--what's the word again? Oh, yeah, flavor. He doesn't even like brownies. I swear to God, I will change him.
The one food I've ever seen him get emotional over is manjar. He doesn't just like the creamy Chilean dulce de leche, he has a relationship with it, and I guess you can add it to my list of relationships too.
His birthday was last weekend, the same day as my mom's, so I decided to make him a birthday treat. Salted caramel chocolate dulce de leche bars. Oh. Yes. These things are all sorts of dangerous.
My sister brought them on a picnic dinner with all of his other favorite foods and was kind enough to snap a few shots of the bars at home on a picnic blanket and in their mouths.
Happy Birthday Al Pal!

Sorry there are no pictures. I told my sister to take pictures of it when they were on their picnic because I thought the scenery would be great for the pictures. They didn't take pictures, though. They squished it in the picnic basket and then they ate it. Sorry. I promise I'll make it again, and when I do, you'll be the first to see the pictures!

Chocolate Dulce de Leche:
Makes 1 9 inch tart

1 quart 2% milk
1 cup of sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup of heavy cream
4 large egg yolks
3 oz chopped bittersweet chocolate
1 tsp sa salt + more for the top

1 stick of butter, melted
2 cups ground digestive biscuits
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 Tbs sea salt

For the Dulce de Leche:
In a large pot, combine int sugar and milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring regularly, until the sugar it totally dissolved.
Remove from the heat and add your baking soda (if it's lumpy, you can first dissolve it in about 2 Tbs of warm water) and salt. Whisk like crazy to combine, then return the pot to the heat.
Bring the milk back up to a simmer and cook for about an hour, until it is pale brown in color, stirring only occasionally.
Continue cooking, keeping a close eye on the mixture until it deepens in color, has reduced to 1 cup, and is about the thickness of jarred caramel, it will thicken even more when cooled.
Remove from the heat, strain through a fine sieve and cool to room temperature (it's fine if the mixture is still pretty warm)
Bring the cream and newly made dulce de leche to a simmer in a heavy pot, stirring until the dulce de leche is dissolved.
In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and slowly pour in the dulce de leche, whisking as you pour. Continue whisking until the mixture is very well combined.
Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a gentle flame until the mixture is thickened and the spoon leaves tracks on the bottom of the pot. Remove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate and vanilla extract as if you were making a ganache.
For the Crust:
(Best made when the milk and sugar are still simmering for the dulce de leche)
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line the bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan with a piece of parchment and grease the parchment.
In a food processor, blitz the digestives, salt, and brown sugar until very fine. Add the melted butter and pulse until the mix becomes thickened and crumby.
Press into the bottom of the pan and just about 1/4 inch up the sides. You want a good 1/2 inch thick crust for this recipe.
Sprinkle the top evenly with about 1-2 tsp sea salt and bake for 15 minutes. Chill until cooled after removing from the oven.
Construction:
Once the crust is cooled, pour the dulce de leche into the crust and spread into an even layer. Chill in the fridge until cold and set (2-3 hours)
To remove from the pan, just pop off the sides and peel away the parchment. Cut into generous slices, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment