Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lemony Quinoa Cakes

Where there's quinoa, there are creative thoughts. If the quinoa's in my kitchen, anyway. This stuff brings out the best in me, and I have no idea why. It's found it's way into many muffins, porridges, curries, stews, pancakes, and patties like these lemony quinoa cakes.

While I's like to say that these are an act of creative genius, I'll admit that I had something a little more impressive in mind, but was met with a very empty fridge, and not one leaf of the arugula I so desperately wish made it's way into this recipe. They were amazing when I finished, don't get me wrong, just not what I was planning on making when I woke up this morning.
The secret ingredient...

Ok, now I'm making it seem like these guys aren't absolutely great. They are absolutely great, and creative, just not what I had initially planned. They're especially amazing topped with a thin slice of pepper jack cheese. Yum.

Lemony Quinoa Cakes
Makes 6 4" round cakes

1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups of water
salt

Zest of 1/2 lemon
1 Tbs raisins, minced
1 1/2 Tbs chopped chives
1 large clove of garlic, minced
1/2 orange (or yellow, or red) bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup ricotta (I used part-skim)
2 eggs
1/4 c fresh bread crumbs (2 pieces of normal bread, torn or processed into small crumbs)
1/

Combine rinsed quinoa, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring quinoa to a boil, then simmer, covered for about 10-15 minutes, or until the quinoa has fully absorbed the water. Remove the quinoa from the heat and cool while preparing the rest of the dish.

In a bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, lemon zest and raisins (the raisins should be so fine that they almost form a paste) Whisk thoroughly so that the raisin is even spread through the mixture. Add the rest of your ingredients, and mix well. Fold in the quinoa and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cove the mixture and chill for 10 minutes, or until cold all the way through.

Heat  olive oil in a medium skillet and form 6 cakes with your chilled mixture. Cook 2 or 3 cakes at a time, flipping when golden and crispy (about 2-4 minutes per side over reasonably high heat). Top each cake with a slice of pepper jack, fresh chopped tomatoes, or your favorite topping. Enjoy!
Buddy's favorite food: Orange bell peppers




No comments:

Post a Comment